Summer operations 2023-24
Annually, AEMO prepares for the upcoming summer, collaborating with generation and transmission network providers, federal and state governments, and key agencies to actively manage heightened risks to power system operations.
These preparations address risks and deliver reliable and secure power to consumers throughout the summer months building on the strategies and actions which delivered reliable, secure supply during summer 2022-23.
Our objectives for delivery of secure and reliable energy are to:
- Maximise the available generation fleet, transmission assets and demand-side participation.
- Monitor fuel supply chain.
- Maximise transmission system resilience, recovery and contingency management.
- Continuing operational improvements.
- Ensure additional off-market reserve capacity, where it is identified as being necessary, is available via the Reliability and Emergency Reserve Trader (RERT) mechanism.
- Work collectively and in close collaboration across industry to ensure transparency and open communication, focused on the common goal of a prepared power system.
The annual AEMO Summer Readiness Industry Briefing was held on 13 November 2023 and covered the following topics:
- Weather & Climate outlook
- Electricity & Gas System Readiness
- Network Readiness
- Victorian Bushfire Readiness
The presentations from the 2023-24 Industry Briefing can be viewed here:
Summer Readiness 2023-24 - Weather & Climate Presentation - Weatherzone5.36 MB
Summer Readiness 2023-24 - Electricity System Readiness - AEMO2.05 MB
Summer Readiness 2023-24 - Network Readiness - TransGrid2.07 MB
Summer Readiness 2023-24 – Victorian Fire Preparedness – Fire Rescue Victoria (supported by Country Fire Authority)2.99 MB