Metering procedures, guidelines and processes
The service level procedure below details the obligations, technical requirements, and performances associated with the processes of meter reading, data collection, data processing, adjustment, aggregation and delivery of metering data.
The service level procedure below applies to metering providers who are accredited and registered by AEMO to provide metering provision services in the NEM.
- Service Level Procedure: Metering Provider Services (442 KB, pdf)
The service level procedure below applies to Embedded Network Managers who are accredited and registered by AEMO.
The Metering Data Provision Procedures establish the minimum requirements for the manner and form in which metering data should be provided by retailers and Distribution Network Service Providers (DNSPs) to retail customers (or their customer authorised representatives) in response to a request for such data from the retail customer or customer authorised representative.
The procedures include the minimum requirements for the:
- Manner and form in which a retail customer’s metering data must be provided, including for interval metering data and accumulation metering data.
- Timeframes for retailers and DNSPs to respond to a request from a retail customer or customer authorised representative.
- Minimum delivery method for the requested metering data.
- Metering Data Provision Procedures (838 KB, pdf)
This procedure sets out the process for seeking an exemption from AEMO under clause 7.8.10 of the National Electricity Rules.
An application for a metering installation malfunction exemption must be made using the relevant application forms. The application for extension to an existing exemption is only applicable to an exemption under clause 7.8.10.
- Exemption Procedure – Meter installation malfunctions - 20 May 2020 (329 KB, pdf)
- Meter installation malfunctions Application for Exemption Procedure Form - 20 May 2020 (80 KB, doc)
- Meter installation malfunctions Application for Extension for Exemption Procedure Form - 20 May 2020 (80 KB, doc)
This guideline describes the circumstances where a Metering Coordinator may be exempt from enabling remote acquisition of metering data when installing a type 4 metering installation at a small customer's connection point.
- Exemption guideline – small customer meter installation - 25 July 2019 (355 KB, pdf)
- Application for Exemption - 09 September 2019 (115 KB, pdf)
Metering Data must be delivered to respective settlement systems as indicated in the appropriate MDP Data Delivery Calendar, related to the period concerned. AEMO will normally run the MSATS profile calculations and settlement aggregation process in the evening of the day that the MDP data delivery cut off occurs. It is possible, however, that this process does not occur as planned, to accommodate any data issues found or other processing scheduled requirements. Therefore, this calendar should not be relied on to specify exactly when MSATS processing will be run. Participants should refer to the MSATS Settlement Case IDs and the associated run times from the MSATS browser to determine when a particular settlement case is run.
- Metering Data Delivery Dates: January 2021 to January 2022 (290 KB, pdf)
- Metering Data Delivery Dates: January 2020 - January 2021 (286 KB, pdf)
In the NEM, Metering Data Providers are appointed to collect, process and deliver metering data to participants and AEMO in the required file format.
Metering data delivered to participants is to conform to the Meter Data File Format Specification (currently MDFF NEM12 and NEM13). Metering data delivered to AEMO must conform to the MDM data file format as defined by the respective schema and as detailed within the ‘MDM File Format and Upload Process’ documentation.
This document contains details of processes performed by the MDM component of MSATS. The effective date of this procedure is 1 December 2017.
- MDM File Format and Load Process - 02 Oct 2019 (2 MB, pdf)
- Meter Data File Format Specification NEM12 & NEM13 - 21 May 2018 (1.2 MB, pdf)
- NEM12 and NEM13 File Format Clarifications 11 Sep 2009 (255 KB, pdf)
- Meter Data Validation Matrix - 1 Oct 2019 ( 71 KB, xlsx)
- Meter Data File Format Specification NEM12 & NEM13 -14 May 2014 (816 KB, pdf)
The 'NEM12 & NEM13 - File Testing/Example Files' below detail the various MDP test file-build scenarios, and those examples which have been passed and accepted within the inter MDP test process. The 'NEM12 & NEM13 Error Files’ contain data scenarios which have deliberate file syntax and information errors. These files are provided to assist participants in the verification and build of MDFF loaders.
- NMI Standing Data Schedule v 1.1 (191 KB, pdf)
Use of a unique identifier, the National Metering Identifier (NMI), for connection points and associated metering points, is a crucial component in NEM operations for customer registration and transfer, change control, and data transfer.
- National Metering Identifier Procedure - 23 May 2018 (911 KB, pdf)
- National Metering Identifier Allocation List (66 KB, pdf)
- National Metering Identifier Procedure (869 KB, pdf)
In accordance with clause 7.8.12 of the Rules, AEMO is required to publish a list of connection points that exhibit special site or technology related conditions (special site).
These special site or technology-related connection points are associated with transmission, interconnector, market generator, or cross-boundary connection points which have a complexity of metrology. These connection points by their nature require the engagement of a meter data provider who has a system capability in support of the ‘special site’ metering data collection and processing requirements.
- List of Special and Technology Related Sites (564 KB, pdf)