Graduate Development Program
AEMO’s hugely successful three-year Graduate Development Program (GDP) is designed to empower employees to actively shape their future and build a rewarding career in the energy industry.
Are you looking for a career that touches the lives of all Australians?
Start your career in one of the world’s most dynamic industries and apply for the Australian Energy Market Operator’s (AEMO) 2020 Graduate Development Program!
Recognised by the Australian Financial Review’s (AFR) top 100 graduate employers, our hugely successful program puts graduates on the frontline of Australia’s energy industry, as we help operate, manage and evolve Australia’s gas and electricity sectors.
Our unique program offers exposure to real projects and real responsibilities, meaning our graduates will thrive in an environment that promotes innovation, problem-solving and collaborative ways of working.
Successful applicants are provided with comprehensive development supported by managers, mentors, and buddies throughout our three-year program, and will have access to four structured nine-month rotations across the business.
AEMO is responsible for ensuring all Australians have access to a secure and reliable supply of energy 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We operate the National Electricity Market (NEM) that services Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory and the Wholesale Electricity Market in Western Australia. We also manage gas markets in every state except Tasmania and Northern Territory and operate Victoria’s gas system.
AEMO has a key role in planning and shaping a reliable and affordable energy future for all Australians, and also plays an important advisory and planning role to inform the decision-making processes of market participants, new investors, and policy-makers as they assess future development opportunities.
Along with a strong interest in Australia’s evolving energy sector, you will enjoy working in a collaborative environment, have excellent communication skills, demonstrate good initiative and flexibility, and display highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
Applications are open to graduates who have recently completed their degrees or are due to do so in 2019.
Applicable areas of study and qualification would include:
- Engineering – Electrical - Power Systems/Chemical or Mechanical/ Energy Systems and renewables with a focus on power systems and/or gas operations
- IT (Cyber Security, Engineers, Cloud, Digital, Architects) with an emphasis on application enhancement, software engineering, infrastructure to energy platforms
- Maths/Science with a focus on data science, analytics, analytical forecasting, statistical modellers and planning
- Economics/Econometricians including analysis of energy market trends, market design, supply and demand, market behaviour and regulatory policy
- Economics/Law including markets, regulatory policy & compliance
Supporting a diverse workforce
AEMO strongly believes in supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all cultures, ethnicities, religions, genders and disabilities. We are also focused on being an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage women and candidates from Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander descent to apply to our program.
- Applications will be assessed based on the eligibility criteria as per online application.
- A completion of a degree in one or more of the disciplines outlined in our advertisement, with a GPA of seventy five percent or higher.
- Successful candidates will progress to the next stage of the recruitment process, which includes online testing, interview, assessment centre workshops and pre-employment checks before offers are made during October 2019.
- Graduate opportunities will be offered for commencement in February 2020.
How to apply
To submit an application for the 2020 AEMO Graduate Program please click this link and follow our process. Please ensure to complete all online questions.