System Security Market Frameworks Review
On 19 September 2017, the AEMC provided determinations on the Generating System Model Guidelines, Managing the rate of change of power system frequency, and Managing power system fault levels rule changes. As part of these changes to bolster power system security across the NEM, AEMO has completed a series of technical investigations and developed guidelines that provide greater clarity to existing and prospective Market Participants and allow NSPs and AEMO to gather the information necessary to perform the extended analyses now required to maintain power system security.
The following guidelines and reports have been developed and published by AEMO as a result of this review.
System Strength Impact Assessment Guidelines
- System Strength Impact Assessment Guidelines
- System Strength Impact Assessment Guidelines Final Determination and Report (946 KB, pdf)
Power System Model Guidelines
- Power System Model Guidelines (2.4 MB, pdf)
- Power System Design and Setting Data Sheets (193 KB, xlsx)
- Power System Model Guidelines Final Determination and Report (1.3 MB, pdf)
These documents are published in accordance with NER clause 11.102 following consultation in accordance with the NER. The guidelines come into effect on 1 July 2018.
System Strength Requirements Methodology and System Strength Requirements and Fault Level Shortfalls
- System Strength Requirements Methodology, System Strength Requirements and Fault Level Shortfalls (5.5 MB, pdf) (in effect until 30 November 2022)
This document is published in accordance with NER clauses 11.101.3 and 11.101.4.
(A new version of this document is effective from 1 December 2022, and is available in System Security Planning)
Inertia Requirements Methodology and Inertia Requirements and Shortfalls
This document are published in accordance with NER clauses 11.100.3 and 11.100.4.
Notices of Shortfalls in Inertia and Fault Level (System Strength)
Notices of Shortfalls in Inertia and Fault Level (System Strength), in accordance with clauses 5.20B.3(c) and 5.20C.2(c) respectively of the National Electricity Rules.
- 2020 Notice of Queensland system strength requirements and Ross node fault level shortfall (424 KB, pdf)
- 2020 Notice of change to system strength requirement and shortfall at Red Cliffs (156 KB, pdf)
- 2020 Notice of South Australia Inertia Requirements and Shortfall (562 KB, pdf)
- Notice of Victorian Fault Level Shortfall at Red Cliffs, December 2019 (376 KB, pdf)
- Notice of Inertia and Fault Level Shortfalls in Tasmania, November 2019 (859 KB, pdf)
- System Strength shortfall assessment in South Australia, October 2017 (615 KB, pdf)
AEMO sought an independent review of the Power System Model Guidelines and the System Strength Impact Assessment Guidelines. The review by PEACE® PLLC is available here (486 KB, pdf).
To assist in understanding some of the conclusions reached in the System Strength Requirements Methodology and the Inertia Requirements Methodology, the following report analyses the ability of the South Australian power system to form an island and remain secure in an islanded state.