National Transmission Network Development Plan
In this section
In this section
The National Transmission Network Development Plan (NTNDP) provides an independent, strategic view of the efficient development of the National Electricity Market (NEM) transmission grid over a 20-year planning horizon.
AEMO publishes the annual NTNDP as part of its role as national transmission planner under the National Electricity Law, in accordance with clause 5.20.2 of the National Electricity Rules.
2016 NTNDP in development
AEMO has received stakeholder input to the planning process for the 2016 NTNDP in two ways:
- Through a formal consultation process, in accordance with clause 5.20.1 of the National Electricity Rules.
- Through the NTNDP Technical Working Group.
This will help ensure an insightful, fit-for-purpose publication that can inform efficient transmission network development for the long-term interests of consumers.
In January 2016 AEMO published a Consultation Paper for the NTNDP to begin the formal consultation process consultation:
In February 2016 AEMO held an open-invite workshop to discuss the 2016 Consultation paper. The minutes from this workshop are published below:
AEMO subsequently received four written submissions to this Consultation paper, from:
In August 2016 AEMO published its response to consultation, outlining how it will take into account the material points raised in the submissions and the Consultation workshop when preparing the 2016 NTNDP.
Published in November last year, the 2015 NTNDP:
- Reflects on current network investment trends and how these are evolving.
- Examines the thermal capability of transmission flow paths that connect supply sources to population and industrial centres in the NEM.
- Discusses factors impacting power system security, such as levels of inertia and the proportion of total generation managed through the dispatch process.
- Identifies network support and control ancillary service (NSCAS) gaps which may occur in the next five years. These are services that may be needed to manage the
- security and reliability of the NEM in the near term.
An interactive map to complement the 2015 NTNDP can be accessed here Interactive Map .
2015 National Transmission Network Development Plan - supporting material
The generation outlook provides a view of the generation required to meet expected operational demand and consumption across the NEM over the next 20 years. The transmission outlook uses the generation outlook to provide a strategic view of the efficient development of the transmission grid over the next 20 years. 2015 Generation and Transmission Outlook A consolidated summary of Transmission Network Service Provider (TNSP) projects listed in their 2015 Annual Planning Reports, and how they relate to the 2015 NTNDP. Annual Planning Reports Project Summary The modelling methodology and input assumptions stem from 2015 Plexos LT model, 2015 NTNDP traces, and 2015 demand trace development documents. 2015 Plexos LT model
2015 NTNDP Traces
2015 Demand Trace Development
Consultation sought feedback on the 2014 NTNDP, and consulted on inputs and material issues for the 2015 NTNDP. 2015 Planning Studies – Consultation Paper
2014 NTNDP and supporting material
2013 NTNDP and supporting material
2012 NTNDP and supporting material2012 Annual planning reports project summary