AEMO Insights - Electric Vehicles
- 2019 Electricity Statement of Opportunities for the WEM
- AEMO publishes Quarterly Energy Dynamics - Q1 2019
- Load Shedding in VIC on 24 and 25 January 2019
- Technical Integration of Distributed Energy Resources Report released
- 2019 Gas Statement of Opportunities released
- 2019 Victorian Gas Planning Report released
August 23, 2016 - 6:00 AM
The transformation of Australia’s energy system – driven by changes in technology, the economy, and consumer behaviour – has implications for the operation and evolution of the physical, market, and regulatory infrastructure of the energy industry.
This rapid and continuing transformation will require new ways of thinking about energy challenges, and innovative methods to accommodate a very different consumer and economy. It also has profound implications for AEMO’s operational roles. The magnitude and extent of change makes it harder to project with certainty, as the past is no longer indicative of the future.
This is the first of AEMO’s new AEMO Insights reports, which:
- Will explore a range of topical issues that have the potential to challenge the future management and operation of gas and electricity markets and infrastructure systems.
- Are intended to provide information in a timely and agile fashion to assist industry with its developing understanding of rapidly emerging challenges.
This inaugural report is about electric vehicles (EVs), and has been produced in response to keen interest on this topic. It provides a view of how this emerging technology may develop in Australia, and what this could mean for electricity consumption and demand.
The analysis has been prepared with our consultancy partner, Energeia, and expands on the work AEMO started in its 2015 Emerging Technologies Information Paper. AEMO will use this analysis as a starting point for monitoring the emergence and use of EVs in the light vehicle fleet in Australia.