Load forecasting in pre-dispatch and STPASA
In this section
In this section
- Interactive maps and dashboards
- Electricity Forecasting Insights
- Previous National Electricity Forecasting Report
- NEM Electricity Statement of Opportunities
- Integrated System Plan
- National Transmission Network Development Plan
- Victorian transmission network service provider role
- Independent regional planning reports
- Load forecasting in pre-dispatch and STPASA
- Solar and wind energy forecasting
- Transmission Connection Point Forecasting
- Generation information page
- South Australian Advisory Functions
- Energy Adequacy Assessment Projection (EAAP)
- Value of Customer Reliability
- Demand Side Participation Information Guidelines
- Power System Frequency Risk Review
AEMO must produce load forecasts for each region for the following timeframes:
- Each day for the day ahead – pre-dispatch forecast
- Each day for the period two to seven days ahead – short term projected assessment of system adequacy (STPASA) forecast
These forecasts are produced in accordance with the Spot Market Operations Timetable.
Eight calendar days are required to fully cover the seven trading days of the STPASA forecast period.
The Demand Forecasting System (DFS) generates the 10%, 50% and 90% Probability of Exceedance (POE) load forecasts used in pre-dispatch and STPASA. The DFS generates load forecasts automatically every half-hour and, under normal circumstances, does not require manual intervention.
The key inputs into the DFS are:
- Historical actual metered loads
- Real-time actual metered loads (SCADA data from immediately preceding intervals)
- Historical and Forecast Weather data (temperature and humidity)
- Non-scheduled wind generation forecasts (from the Australian Wind Energy Forecasting System (AWEFS))
- Rooftop PV generation forecasts (from the Australian Solar Energy Forecasting System phase 2 (ASEFS2))
- Type of day (weekday/weekend), school holidays, public holidays and daylight savings information.
- Mandatory Restrictions (MR)/RERT schedules.
For more information on load forecasting in pre-dispatch and STPASA refer to the document below.