Welcome to AEMO's portal for new network connections and alterations to connected generating systems
AEMO defines network connections as connections to the electricity networks that support the National Electricity Market (NEM). Network connections encompass:
- the connection of generating systems to transmission and distribution networks
- the connection of electricity loads to transmission and distribution networks
- the connection of a distribution network to a transmission network
- the connection of two transmission networks that are owned by different transmission network service providers (TNSPs) – these connections are called inter-network connections
The connection process varies by:
- type of connection applicant (i.e. generator, distributor or direct customer
- connection voltage (i.e. connection to a transmission line that is greater than or equal to 220 kV or connection to a transmission or distribution line that is less than or equal to 132 kV)
- whether the connection is new or being altered
For assistance in identifying the relevant connection process, please contact AEMO
For most network connections (i.e. connections greater than 30 MW in capacity) in Victoria, AEMO is involved in all stages of the connection process, from pre-feasibility to completion.
For generator transmission connections in the NEM outside Victoria, the connecting TNSP manages the connection process for new generator connections and is the main point of contact for the connection applicant. AEMO is involved in the following stages of the connection process:
- the negotiation of performance standards termed ‘AEMO advisory matters’;
- the assessment of proposed performance standards;
- registration with AEMO; and
- commissioning and post-commissioning activities.
For generator distribution connections in the NEM (i.e. embedded generation and typically connections less than 30 MW in capacity), the connecting distribution network service provider (DNSP) manages the connection process for new generator connections and is the main point of contact for the connection applicant. AEMO is involved in some stages of the connection process as listed above for connections outside Victoria.
For connections with a capacity of less than 5 MW , connection applicants will not be required to go through the connection process prescribed in the National Electricity Rules (Rules), but may have obligations placed on them by the connecting network service provider (NSP). For connections between 5 MW and 30 MW in capacity, applicants will be required to go through the prescribed connection process; however, data and modelling requirements may be reduced.
Alterations to Connected Generating Systems
The extent to which stages of the process for new connections apply to alterations to connected generating systems, as well as AEMO’s involvement, depend on the nature of the alterations. Clause 5.3.9 of the Rules provides further guidance.