Media Statement - AEMO reaffirms position on energy security
- 2017 Western Australian Gas Staement of Opportunities
- Media Release: New wholesale contracts needed to shore up Western Australia’s domestic gas supplies
- Media release - AEMO Power of Choice
- High November electricity demand across South Australia and Victoria
- AEMO releases summer readiness report for 2017-18
- AEMO market notifications explained - what does a 'lack of reserve' mean?
March 23, 2017 - 10:21 PM
In response to some media reports, AEMO confirms its previous advice that the closure of Hazelwood will not compromise the security of the Victoria electricity system nor the broader National Electricity Market (NEM) next summer.
As noted in earlier AEMO reports, there are power generation resources available in Victoria and the NEM that currently are not operating at all or to their full capacity that can be made available to replace the power currently supplied by Hazelwood.
AEMO's market analysis reveals these resources exceed the 1600 megawatts (MW) capacity of Hazelwood.
AEMO has the necessary authority to ensure the security of the system and over the next several months will work with market participants in gas and electricity markets to ensure all necessary plans are in place to secure summer reliability.
For AEMO media enquiries, please contact:
AEMO media enquiries
0409 382 121
Please click here for a PDF version of this media release.