Media Statement - AEMO reaffirms position on energy security
- Generator Registration and Connection in the NEM – AEMO Roadshow
- Update to National Electricity Market transmission event on 25 August 2018
- 2018 NEM Electricity Statement of Opportunities
- AEMO publishes Quarter Energy Dynamics – Q2 2018
- 2018 Integrated System Plan
- 2018 Victorian Annual Planning Report (VAPR)
March 23, 2017 - 10:21 PM
In response to some media reports, AEMO confirms its previous advice that the closure of Hazelwood will not compromise the security of the Victoria electricity system nor the broader National Electricity Market (NEM) next summer.
As noted in earlier AEMO reports, there are power generation resources available in Victoria and the NEM that currently are not operating at all or to their full capacity that can be made available to replace the power currently supplied by Hazelwood.
AEMO's market analysis reveals these resources exceed the 1600 megawatts (MW) capacity of Hazelwood.
AEMO has the necessary authority to ensure the security of the system and over the next several months will work with market participants in gas and electricity markets to ensure all necessary plans are in place to secure summer reliability.
For AEMO media enquiries, please contact:
AEMO media enquiries
0409 382 121
Please click here for a PDF version of this media release.