Solar and wind energy - confidential data for public research
Forecasting wind and solar energy is increasingly important to maintaining power system security and an efficient market. AEMO has developed the Australian Solar Energy Forecasting System (ASEFS) and Australian Wind Energy Forecasting System (AWEFS) to produce and improve these forecasts.
AEMO has also developed a way for wind and solar farm owners and developers to voluntarily provide confidential data related to their wind and solar farms, to AEMO and (under conditions) to public researchers in Australia. By supporting Australian public research, AEMO aims to help improve forecasting accuracy and support the development of additional tools to assist in maintaining the accuracy of NEM dispatch and pricing.
To deliver these benefits while safeguarding the interests of wind and solar farm owners and operators, AEMO has developed a range of legal documents. These standard agreements between wind and solar farm owners, public researchers, and AEMO mean that:
- Wind and solar farms who opt into the scheme, and public researchers, don't have to sign multiple bilateral agreements.
- The written approvals and supply of data reduce the administration and documentation required to enable secure data sharing.
- Wind and solar farm owners know their data will only be provided to researchers who have signed the required agreements and have also had their submission for access approved by each affected wind farm. A public researcher is required to submit a proposal to the relevant wind or solar farm owner outlining how the data being requested will be used (e.g. brief overview of the research being undertaken, expected outcomes of research). The wind or solar farm can then approve or reject the request.
The documents are listed and described below.
Wind and solar farm data supply deeds:
- Describe the relationship between wind and solar farms, public researchers and AEMO.
- Outline the conditions under which a wind or solar farm agrees to supply the data to AEMO, and will permit AEMO to release it for the purpose of research conducted by public researchers in Australia.
- Must be executed by each wind or solar farm owner and AEMO.
Wind and solar farm confidentiality deed polls:
- Is required if a public researcher seeks access to wind and solar farm data.
- Will need to be signed for the benefit of all wind and solar farms prior to gaining access to data.
- Will be signed by public researcher and AEMO.
Wind and solar farm data lists:
- Provides a list of all wind and solar farm related data that could be released to public researchers on approval by the relevant wind and solar farms.
AWEFS System Access and Licence Agreement:
- Sets out the terms on which AEMO will make, on a no liability basis, the AWEFS and ASEFS system and data available to public research bodies.
- Will be signed by a public researcher and AEMO.
- See ‘AWEFS System Access User Manual for Public Researchers’ for more details.
Legal documents relating to AWEFS:
Wind Farm Data Supply Deed
20 May 2014 | filesize: 220 KB (.doc)
Wind Farm Confidentiality Deed Poll
20 May 2014 | filesize: 281 KB (.doc)
AWEFS System Access and Licence Agreement
13 June 2014 | filesize: 380 KB (.doc)
AWEFS System Access User Manual for Public Researchers
13 May 2010 | filename: 0110-0054.pdf
Wind Farm Data list
13 May 2010 | filename: 0110-0055.pdf
Legal documents relating to ASEFS:
Solar Farm Data Supply Deed
23 September 2014 | filesize: 224 KB (.doc)
Solar Farm Confidentiality Deed Poll
23 September 2014 | filesize: 183 KB (.doc)
ASEFS System Access and Licence Agreement
23 September 2014 | filesize: 174 KB (.doc)
ECMWF Data Request form for Researchers
23 September 2014 | filesize: 45.4 KB (.doc)
The AEMO Information & Support Hub should be the first point of contact for public researchers seeking to gain access to data.