Stage 3 - Application
Submitting an application to connect initiates key activities in the connection process. Connection Applicants should submit their application to AEMO, together with all outstanding information requested by AEMO in its connection enquiry response.
In support of an application to connect, AEMO will typically require:
- Completed Application to Connect Form.
- Proposed performance standards – completed Performance Standards template (see Documents checklist below for templates relating to your connection type).
- Description of the proposed installation, including data requirements outlined in the Schedules 5.4 and 5.5 of National Electricity Rules (Rules).
- Model package, including simulation models and associated design data (see AEMO’s Modelling requirements page for more details on the data and model packages required).
- Project and commissioning programs.
- Proposed switching arrangement for connection to the Declared Shared Network (DSN).
- The location of the proposed connection point.
- Payment of the application fee and ongoing charges related to the assessment of the application.
The proposed performance standards must be consistent with the access standards detailed in the relevant Schedules of Chapter 5 of the Rules. Note that AEMO has recently proposed a generator technical performance standard rule change, which is available on the AEMC website here: http://www.aemc.gov.au/Rule-Changes/Generator-technical-performance-standards.
AEMO will advise the applicant of the additional information required before the application can be processed. The requirements of a complete application are covered in the Connection Application Checklist.
If AEMO’s technical information requirements are not met, the application is incomplete and cannot be processed.
AEMO will assess the application to connect together with the proposed performance standards. At the conclusion of this stage, AEMO will notify the Connection Applicant of AEMO’s agreement to the performance standards and the outcome of the system strength impact assessment with any requirement for System strength remediation (clause 5.3.4A and 5.3.4B of the Rules).
At this stage, AEMO will also assess the need for network augmentations and their contestability. Augmentations to the interface to the DSN are not contestable, and can only be effected by the incumbent Declared Transmission System Operator (DTSO). For the remaining contestable parts of the augmentation, the Connection Applicant may conduct an invitation to tender (ITT) to select suitable service providers, or request AEMO to do so.Roles and responsibilities summary
AEMO: receives and reviews submitted data, including proposed performance standards, undertakes technical studies to assess the Connection Applicant’s compliance with the proposed performance standards and network impact, coordinates performance standards negotiations, and conducts an ITT if required and requested by the Connection Applicant.
Connection Applicant: submits application to connect and required information (including performance standards) to AEMO, provides clarification on the submitted data if requested, conducts or requests AEMO to conduct an ITT if required, and participates in the negotiation of performance standards.Documents checklist
You will require the following documents for this stage:
Related guides and policies
- AEMO's Application to Connect Form
- Connections Application Checklist (465 KB, pdf)
- Generator Performance Standards (GPS) Template (187 KB, docx)
- Generator Performance Standards (GPS) Template - pre NER v113 (185 KB, docx)
- Generator Technical Requirement template
- Customer Performance Standards template
- Customer Technical Requirements template
- Market NSP Technical Requirements template
- Data and model packages – see AEMO’s Modelling requirements page
- Guideline and Template for preparation of a Releasable User Guide (1 MB, pdf)
- Template for preparation of a Releasable User Guide (1.8 MB, docx)
At this stage you may find the following documents useful:
- Guidelines for Assessment of Generator Performance Standards
- Technical Information Requirements for Connection of Generators
- AEMO’s Power System Stability Guidelines pages
- AEMO’s Schedule of Fees and Charges for Generation Connections
- Criteria for Assessing Material Inter-Network Impact of Transmission Augmentations
- Guidelines to assist Registered Participants to determine when an Inter-Network Test may be required
- AEMO's Asset Classification
- Guidelines for Shared Transmission Connections in Victoria
- Guidelines for Establishing Terminal Stations In Victoria
- Connecting Generation Clusters to the Victorian Electricity Network: a Technical Perspective
- Policy on the Active Management of Connections Applications in Victoria
- Indicative Transmission Augmentation Costs in Victoria
- AEMO’s Registration pages
- Transmission Generation Alterations in Victoria process map (145 KB, pdf)
- AEMO Standard for Power System Data Communications
- Clarification of S5.2.5 Technical requirements
For enquiries regarding connections, please contact email@example.com