AEMO Director Appointment Process
In this section
This is an archived page
Back to previous page
This section outlines at a high-level the appointment process for the appointment of new directors to the AEMO Board.
Members play an important role in the appointment process including:
- The opportunity to nominate candidates for consideration.
- Determining the composition of the SCER Appointments Selection Panel (Selection Panel), which is comprised of two industry nominated members, two government nominated members and an independent chair.
- Determining whether the Panel’s recommendations are submitted to the Standing Council for Energy and Resources (SCER) of referred back to the Panel for further consideration.
The need to appoint new directors usually arises when a director is due to complete two terms on the Board or steps down for other reasons. At this time the Board will consider:
- The skills to be identified in the search. The AEMO Constitution includes a skills matrix to guide the Board on its composition.
- Whether the new director must meet the independence criteria or not. Under the AEMO Constitution a majority of directors must be ‘independent’. The criteria for ‘independence’ is set out in Schedule 1 of the Constitution.