AEMO Metrology for the NEM
In this section
This is an archived page
Back to previous page
AEMO’s Metrology two- and- a- half day workshop provides Metering Provider (MP) categories A and B (MPAs and MPBs) an understanding of:
• Their obligations, responsibilities and the relevant regulatory requirements in the NEM.
• Operational and technical requirements associated with metering provision services.
• Metering installation metrology and performance management.
• Testing and compliance.
Specifically, the workshop suits MPAs and MPBs working in:
• Meter installation.
• Regulatory compliance.
• Meter data accuracy.
• Metering services.
• Meter asset management.
It also provides valuable background information for MP employees seeking AEMO accreditation and qualification to operate in the NEM.
Workshop locations and dates 2016
City Date Sydney 27 to 29 April 2016 Melbourne 23 to 25 November 2016
How to enrol
The course cost for eligible participants is $2200 per person including GST.
To register and pay for courses through a secure online payment gateway, visit the AEMO Learning Centre to create an individual log in, which will also allow you to access the AEMO eLearning and Education catalogues.
For further information, please contact Joe Cignarella via the AEMO Support Hub.
- Metering regulatory requirements in the NEM, including parties’ roles and responsibilities under the Rules and Metrology Procedure (Part A).
- Principles of metering and power measurement, three and four wire metering connections, Blondel’s Theorem and methods for verifying the correctness of an installation and the basic theory and requirements surrounding each basic transformer principles including calculation of losses and transformer equations.
- Voltage Transformer and Current Transformer’s principles, errors and their impact metering installation accuracy, including methods for error reduction; burden and burden power factor; turns ratio; error compensation.
- Capabilities of modern energy meters, definition of meter error and accuracy requirements under the Rules, meter testing including in-field sample testing under relevant Australian Standards.
- Requirement for overall error calculation of metering installations under the Rules and metrology procedure and its application to three and four wire metering installations.
- Requirements for Metering Asset Management Plans (MAMP) under the Rules and metrology procedure, the criteria for preparing the plan as set out in AEMO’s guidelines, strategy for testing and inspection, centralised audits and metering installation audits.
Feedback from course attendees
- “It is good course to understand/improve knowledge of Metrology in the NEM”
- “The course was useful I would recommend the course to others in our work group.”
- “Good overview and some detailed info for some new [coming] into this area of work”
- “I work in the metering asset group and it gives me an insight about how to comply with AEMO's requirements”