In this section
This is an archived page
Back to previous page
WEM Procedure Changes
AEMO develops and changes procedures that relate to market operation and other market matters, while System Management develops operational procedures pertaining to short and medium system planning, security and reliability, and dispatch.The current versions of Market Procedures can be found here.
The IMO is responsible for developing and changing procedures related to rule making and compliance matters.
Summary of Procedure Changes
All Procedure Change Proposals being progressed or recently progressed by AEMO are available here.
All Procedure Change Proposals being progressed or recently progressed by the IMO as at 30 November 2015 are available here.
All Procedure Change Proposals being progressed or recently progressed by System Management are available here.
Procedure Change Process
Under the Market Rules, only AEMO, System Management or the IMO can initiate the Procedure Change Process as it relates to their functions, however Rule Participants may approach each of these parties, as applicable, with suggested changes to Procedures.
Any Procedure Change Proposal must be:
- consistent with the Market Objectives; and
- consistent with the Market Rules, the Electricity Industry Act 2004 and Regulations.
The Wholesale Market Objectives are:
- to promote the economically efficient, safe and reliable production and supply of electricity and electricity related services in the South West interconnected system;
- to encourage competition among generators and retailers in the South West interconnected system, including by facilitating efficient entry of new competitors;
- to avoid discrimination in that market against particular energy options and technologies, including sustainable energy options and technologies such as those that make use of renewable resources or that reduce overall greenhouse gas emissions;
- to minimise the long-term cost of electricity supplied to customers from the South West interconnected system; and
- to encourage the taking of measures to manage the amount of electricity used and when it is used.
Both AEMO, System Management and the IMO are subject to the same process for developing new procedures or making changes to existing procedures. Once either AEMO, System Management or the IMO proposes a change, AEMO publishes a Procedure Change Proposal, requests submissions from the public, and may convene the Market Advisory Committee (MAC) to discuss the proposal.
Procedures have more process-related detail than the Market Rules and are expected to be subject to relatively frequent refinements and updates.
The issues addressed in the procedures can be quite technical and specialised, so the MAC has decided to convene working groups to study these issues. The relevant party is required to prepare a report on the Procedure Change Proposal which includes the amended wording, feedback received on the change, and a time and date for the new procedure to come into force.
Any person can make a submission relating to a Procedure Change Proposal, during the period indicated for public submissions. All submissions must reach the relevant party before 5:00PM (WST) on the final submission date, unless otherwise noted. A submission must clearly state which Procedure Change Proposal is being addressed, using the reference number. Please relate each submission to a single Procedure Change Proposal. Submissions should be made using the form below.WEM Procedure Change Submission Form [148kB]
Contact Details for Procedure Changes
All suggestions for Procedure Changes that relate to the Power System Operation Procedures should be sent to:
Market Development & Governance Manager
GPO Box L921
Perth WA 6842
Fax: (08) 9427 4228
All suggestions for Procedure Changes that relate to Market Procedures should be sent to:
Group Manager, Development and Capacity
PO Box 7096
Cloisters Square, Perth, WA 6850
Phone: (08) 9254 4300
Fax: (08) 9254 4399
This document is published in accordance with clause 10.5.1(b) of the Market Rules.